Friday, November 28, 2008

Strange Actions In Environmental Consulting

I was speaking with a client the other day. He had recently become the victim of what often happens in a down real estate economy. An environmental consultant conducted a Phase I for a client of his. The Phase I made recommendations. A larger than necessary Phase II was conducted, but was not well designed, so another Phase II was recommended. The consultant got a regulator involved and the work became mandatory. Then the regulator required a health risk assessment and 7 monitoring wells. The owner of the Property is now out almost $100,000 with closure no where in site. The Property is a marina in the Sacramento River delta. There is a loss of water from the delta to the island, meaning the continuing spills from boats refueling at the docks migrates to the soil and the non-usable groundwater. It is likely that a well worded Phase I could have solved the problem and saved the owner about $97,500. But the owner is still spending, because he will be monitoring this groundwater for a long time. Every time the country gets into these economic situations, consultants start bleeding their clients. It is how the environmental consulting industry got such a bad reputation in the early 90s, and it was deserved. So this is just a word to the wise, if you pay a consultant to have a Phase I conducted these days and recommendations are made for further work, make absolutely sure that those recommendations are necessary. If you have an issue like this and want to call me, I will give you an hour of my time for free - no matter where you are (888 875-4468). My industry does not need to further sully its reputation.

1 comment:

  1. that's how bad reputation of the environmental consultant was gotten? I got it!

    ReplyDelete